How to Run a Office Pool
Thinking of running an office pool for a sporting or Reality TV event and want to make it a huge success. Follow the tips on this page to maximize the enjoyment of everyone playing.
Popular pools include:
- NFL Football (probably the most popular office pool - weekly pools, playoff pools, and the Super bowl)
- College Football - either regular season or bowls
- College Basketball (March Madness)
- NBA Basketball (usually the playoffs)
- MLB Baseball (usually the playoffs)
- NHL Hockey (usually the playoffs)
- Reality TV Shows (Survivor, Amazing Race, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, Big Brother, etc. Anything with a weekly elimination)
- The Oscars
- Baby pools (actually the 2nd most popular - when the baby will be born, what the sex will be, how much it will weigh, etc.)
There are a large number of options on running a pool, from paper and pencil, to Excel spreadsheets, to software, to websites. Since pools by their nature require many people to input information (either a one time pick or weekly picks, depending upon the pool), the best way to run a pool is via a website. This greatly reduces the load on the person running the pool (the commissioner) and avoids using company emails for personal usage.